When doing your clients’ nails or even your own nails, you want to ensure that your acrylic manicure lasts as long as possible, especially because of the hard work and focus that goes into creating beautiful acrylic nails. But hard work and determination is only half the battle; the other half is using quality products.
For example, using a quality acrylic powder and acrylic liquid for nails is incredibly important for ensuring that your acrylic nails last as long as possible and in the best possible condition.
What to Look for in the Best Acrylic Liquid
So, how do you know which brands and products are the best acrylic powder and acrylic liquid? Read on for a complete guide to finding the best acrylic powder and acrylic liquid.
Before we get to our top ten list of the best acrylic powders and acrylic liquids, we are going to give you some pointers and information on what to look for before selecting a quality acrylic product.
What Are the Benefits of Using Acrylic Liquid?
There are many benefits of using acrylic liquid. Acrylic liquids have been used for nails for years, and have proven to be a prime solution for women who are sick and tired of short, brittle, and broken nails and desire longer, sexier nails.
Through the years, nail tech professionals have perfected and mastered the use of acrylic liquid for nails. In fact, acrylic liquid has been around a lot longer than some other modern products, such as gel, so acrylic liquid is typically the more affordable option for acrylic nails, the side effects are rare, and they last longer.
One of the primary benefits of acrylic nails is that if one breaks, it can easily be fixed at home or in a few, short minutes at a salon with the right tools.
How to Choose the Best Acrylic Powder and Acrylic Liquid
As a nail professional or enthusiast, the last thing you want to have to worry about is which acrylic powder or acrylic liquid will give you the results that you and your clients are looking for. This is why it is important to consider all the factors and options before purchasing the best acrylic liquid and acrylic powder.
Here are some things to consider when looking at the best acrylic liquid for nails:
- The Science. Select an acrylic liquid that has been scientifically developed, expert-tested, and and approved by the Board of Cosmetology.
- Easy to Use. It’s also important to select an acrylic liquid that is easy to use and work with for perfect sculpting and application, that involves minimal leveling and filing, and that also provides quality results.
- Adhesion. No client wants their acrylic nails to pop off. So, be sure to select an acrylic liquid that provides superior adhesion and that is lift free.
Remember, acrylic nails should last up to two weeks—depending on the condition of the client’s natural nails, of course—so be sure to choose an acrylic liquid that does just that!
- Low-Odor. Do you want to smell acrylic liquid fumes all day? Neither do your clients! Be sure to select an acrylic liquid that is low-odor or even odor-free.
- UV and Gel. Most acrylic liquid products are designed for both UV curing, however, be sure to read the product description to make sure.
- MMA-Free. MMA is for dentists—not for nails! Be sure to select an acrylic powder or acrylic liquid that is made with a safe formula, and that is MMA-free!
- Product Size. Many acrylic powder and acrylic liquid kits comes in various sizes. If you own or operate a nail salon, then it may be in your best interest to purchase a large bottle of acrylic liquid, especially if you use it every day.
Many salon suppliers will offer large bottles of acrylic liquids and at a reasonable price. So, be sure to check with a trusted salon supplier for rates or discounts on purchasing acrylic liquid in bulk sizes.
What is MMA?
Methyl methacrylate, or MMA was originally developed for medical use. MMA is used mainly for making crowns and bridges in dentistry, and is also used by orthopedic surgeons as bone cement for joint replacement procedures. Some construction contractors also use it for flooring products, resin materials, and even Plexiglass.
So, does that sound like a chemical you want on your nails or skin? We didn’t think so. Although MMA is not dangerous once it hardens completely, it can cause some pretty serious side effects if it comes in contact with nails or skin in liquid form.
Some nail technicians began using MMA for acrylic nail services because it was more cost effective than other products. However, after numerous consumer complaints, the FDA prohibited manufacturers from using MMA in nail products in 1974.
Through the years, nail tech professionals began to discover that MMA nail products were too difficult to remove and would easily tear nails off in some cases. Therefore, nail professionals began to move away from using MMA nail products, and rather focused on protecting and preserving the natural nail when applying any nail enhancement product.
So, how do you know if nail products contain MMA? Most nail product labels today will disclose this information, however, here are some ways to tell if the label isn’t clear.
- Odor - MMA has a distinct, strong, fruity odor.
- Price - Again, MMA is a cheaper product when compared with alternative, safer products. So, if you select an acrylic liquid based on price, you run the risk of purchasing a potentially unsafe product.
- Physical Effects - Even smelling MMA in its liquid form can cause physical effects, such as tightness in the throat or chest, tingling in your fingers, lightheadedness, dizziness or an odd taste in your mouth.
If your fingers burn, itch or hurt after receiving nail services, this can indicate MMA exposure.
All in all, MMA should be used in a controlled laboratory environment by properly trained technicians only—not in nail salons or in your living room!
What is the Best Way to Use Acrylic Liquid for Nails?
The best way to use acrylic liquid is to get the right ratio of acrylic liquid and acrylic powder to form the perfect bead for sculpting, leveling, and filing on the natural nail. This can take some practice, but with the right product and tools, you easily can master using and applying acrylic liquid or powder.
Here are some steps on how to best use acrylic liquid, and for getting the right amount of acrylic liquid and acrylic powder to create beautiful acrylic nails.
Follow these steps and watch the video below.
1. Brush Up. First, be sure to use the right brush. Using a professional sculpting brush will make applying the acrylic liquid and powder that much easier.
2. Take a Dip. Second, dip the sculpting brush into the acrylic liquid. Avoid completely soaking the brush! After dipping the brush, wipe it along the side of the container, or on a
napkin or paper towel prior to dipping it into the acrylic powder.
3. Powder Time. Next, carefully dip the moist brush into the acrylic powder. Do not submerge the brush!
Remember, less is more! You only need a small amount of powder on the tip of your brush. A small amount goes a long way in creating acrylic nails!
4. Base to Tip. Then, place the ball
of acrylic powder on the tip of the nail. Carefully press down on the acrylic so that it firmly adheres to the tip of the nail, then smooth it out towards the base of the nail.
If your brush starts to feel dry while smoothing out the acrylic, it is okay to dip the brush into the acrylic liquid once again to move the acrylic around the nail a little easier. Continue to
drag the acrylic towards the base of the nail to avoid lumps.
5. Level Up. Finally, once you are finished applying the acrylic, you can move on to filing and leveling once the acrylic has hardened.
The Top 10 Best Acrylic Liquids
Artisan, Elfa, CND and OPI are all top-rated and reputable brands known throughout the nail care industry. Hundreds of salons and nail tech professionals trust these brands and rely on their products every day, which is why we had to include these brands—and many more!—on our list of the top ten best acrylic powders and acrylic liquids.1. Mia Secret Liquid Monomer - Mia Secret is a well known brand in the nail care industry. Mia Secret offers a number of nail care products, including complete acrylic nails systems and kits. Mia Secret Acrylic Liquid Monomer is loved by many nail tech professionals and DIY-ers alike because the product is easy to use, lift resistant, affordable and MMA free.
Manicurists don’t need to use a lot of this product for high-quality results, so an 8-ounce bottle can go a long way—even if it is used on a daily basis at a salon. Some nail tech professionals claim that they don’t even need to use a nail drill tool after applying this acrylic liquid.
Here are some of the top pros and cons for using Mia Secret’s Liquid Monomer acrylic liquid product:
- Lift resistant
- Quality and adhesive product
- Made in the USA
- MMA free
- Cost effective choice
- 8-ounce bottle
- Little drilling and filing after application needed
- 8-ounce bottle may be too small
- May not mix well with other nail care products
- Can take some time to dry
- Somewhat heavy odor
2. Elfa Nomma Plus Acrylic Liquid Monomer - Elfa is another well-known and reputable brand in the nail care industry that provides a long line of nail care products, including acrylic liquid.
Elfa Acrylic Liquid Monomer is a favorite of many nail techs. It is a high-quality product that has proven not to lift, break, or cause damage to the skin and nails. Elfa Acrylic Liquid Monomer also works well with other products, such as acrylic powders.Elfa Acrylic Liquid Monomer is also safe to use, and is an approved product by the Board of Cosmetology.
- Superior adhesion
- High-quality and safe product
- Made in the USA
- Approved by the Board of Cosmetology
- 100 percent satisfaction guarantee
- Does not yellow
- Anti-odor product
- Pairs well with other products and acrylic powders
- MMA-free product
- Cost effective choice
- 8-ounce bottle
3. The Beyond Powders System by Alfalfa Nail Supply - The Beyond Powders and Essential line from Alfalfa Nail Supply provides you with all the supplies you need to create beautiful acrylic nails.
In addition to providing a high-quality acrylic liquids and acrylic powders, the brushes are designed with quality materials and a unique, attractive design. The acrylic powders provide smooth consistency without bubbling, lifting, or yellowing for premium adhesion, consistent color blending, an easy-to-level application and are also available in a wide range of colors.
Alfalfa Nail Supply is a beauty supplier located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana that provides an essential line of acrylic nail kits and supplies, including acrylic powders and acrylic liquids that are used in nail salons across the country.
- May be expensive to purchase multiple colors
4. Backscratchers’ Extreme Powder Glaze Acrylic Dip System - Backscratchers’ Extreme Powder Glaze Acrylic Dip System is another top-rated acrylic liquid and acrylic powder system designed for speed and quality acrylic nails. The Acrylic Dip System is also designed with resin technology and the best acrylic dipping powder to create thin, smooth, beautiful acrylic nails.
Application for this Acrylic Dip System requires 75 percent less filing than traditional acrylic liquid and acrylic powder, and without any harsh odors or harmful chemicals. Backscratchers’ Acrylic Dip System only provides truly beautiful, natural-looking, pink-and-white French tip acrylic nails. This is why many nail salon tech professionals choose Backscratchers’ products over its competitors time and time again.
- Expensive product
- Only one-ounce bottle available
5. 5000™ Purple Acrylic EMA Liquid - If you own or operate a salon, and go through a lot of acrylic liquid, then this is probably the best option for you. The 5000 Purple Acrylic EMA liquid is a high-quality, professional-grade acrylic liquid that easily allows you to create beautiful, long-lasting acrylic nails for your customers.
The 5000 Purple Acrylic EMA liquid is also MMA-free, making it a safe, reliable, and high-quality product that salon tech professionals can rely on.
One gallon premium acrylic liquid
- High-quality acrylic powder and acrylic liquid
- Easy application and easy sculpting
- Super adhesion
- MMA-free product
6. ASP Aspire - ASP Aspire is another beauty supplier and manufacturer that provides a complete pink and white acrylic nail system that provides DIY manicurists and salon tech professionals with everything they need to create truly beautiful, natural-looking pink and white nails, including an acrylic liquid.
ASP Aspire’s nail products are made with the proprietary Aspire formula, which is designed with nanotechnology. The Aspire formula includes a vast amount of molecular bonds for premium adhesion, strength, and clarity.
Nanotechnology is a modern science and technology that involves creating smaller and more durable materials at the atomic level. The results? Creating longer-lasting, stronger, and easier to use materials for the nail professional to produce cleaner, clearer, and more vibrant acrylic nails. The Acrylic Liquid is an essential aspect to the Aspire Acrylic system.
The complete ASP Aspire kit comes with: ¼-oz. pink bonding powder, ¼-oz. white bonding powder, ¼-oz. bonding acrylic liquid, nail glue, an acrylic brush, a mini black file and 20 French white tips.
- May contain harsh chemicals
- May have strong odor
- May not be the best solution for nail tech professionals
7. CND - CND’s Retention Starter Pack is the perfect acrylic kit for new nail tech professionals who are starting up a salon. The CND is a high-quality, reputable brand known throughout the nail industry. The CND starter kit comes with all the essential products needed for nail salons to offer beautiful nail enhancement services.
The CND Retention Starter Pack comes with enough supplies to create up to 20 full sets, making it an excellent kit for startup salons and nail tech professionals. The kit comes with Pure White and Pure Pink sculpting powders, CND Liquid, Scrubfresh, Solar Oil and a 20-pack of CND Velocity Tips.In addition to the CND Starter Pack, CND also offers professional-grade gallon-sized acrylic liquid refill systems. CND designs products with patent technology that ensures flexible, resilient nail enhancements that perfectly suit clients’ needs.
- High-quality and reputable brand
- Designed with patent technology
- Super adhesion
- Complete acrylic nail system
- Best option for startup nail tech professionals and salons
- Resistant and resilient
- Award-winning acrylic liquid system
8. Entity’s Acrylic Kit - The Entity acrylic nail kit is designed to meet both the needs of the nail manicurist and artist as well as the demands of a salon. The system creates beautiful, durable results and uses low-odor, cosmetic-grade products with excellent workability and durability.
What is unique about this system is that it comes with a Success Series DVD of Salon Design Principles; a studio brush; nail forms for sculpting the perfect acrylic nails; nail tips; sculpting liquid; white, pink, and clear sculpting powders; primer; nail dehydrator; cuticle oil and an instructional booklet. What more do you need?Additionally, the Entity Liquid Nail Couture is one of the best acrylic liquids available. However, it only pairs well with other Entity acrylic nail system products. It is designed for maximum adhesion, resiliency, and flexibility. The Entity Liquid Nail Couture also comes in a variety of sizes to meet the salon needs.
- May be expensive
- May only be used with other Entity acrylic powder and acrylic nail system products
- Best used with UV lamps only
9. LeChat’s Nail Architecture Acrylic System - LeChat is another reputable brand in the nail care industry. LeChat’s complete acrylic nail system ensures strong and durable wear, an easy application with a superior texture, and a spectrum of beautiful and vibrant color powders that will provide customers with elegant, beautiful, and truly unique and fashionable nail art designs.
The Cabaret Collection offers various color powders offered in individual sets. The Nail Architecture Acrylic System also comes equipped with a set of acrylic brushes for intricate and highly detailed applications.
Furthermore, the LeChat liquid monomer is a low-odor product that ensures elegant styling, and comes in a variety of sizes to meet the needs of any salon.
- May be expensive
10. OPI’s Absolute Intro Kit - We couldn’t very well organize a list of the top nail care brands and products without including an item from OPI. OPI is a number-one brand in the nail care industry, known mainly for their line of unique and vibrant nail polish colors, including gel colors, as well as a wide selection of supporting nail care products.
OPI also offers a great starter kit for creating high-quality acrylic nails, which includes an acrylic powder and acrylic liquid. The OPI Absolute system is designed for easy application and comes with six color powders for classic French acrylic nails and natural shades, as well as all the essentials and necessities needed for acrylic nail enhancement services, such as a cleanser, forms, liquid monomer and more.
The kit also includes an instructional DVD, which provides great advice, tips, and tricks on how to properly apply the Absolute powders to get the best-looking acrylic nails.
- Reputable brand and nail care industry leader
- Complete acrylic nail system
- Little to no evaporation
- Developed with years of research and testing
- Best for salon and nail tech professionals
- Maximum sculpting
- Minimal filing
- MMA-free product
- Odor-free product
- Quality application
- Supports a variety of colors
- Various sizes available
So, there you have it: a complete list of the best acrylic powders, acrylic liquids, and acrylic nail kits and systems to create beautiful acrylic nails for your clients—or for yourself! Some of the products we reviewed above are best for nail tech professionals and salons, and others are best for DIY manicurists and beginners.
All in all, the above products are all safe to use, relatively cost effective, made with the highest-quality ingredients and proprietary formulas and from top-rated, trusted brands known throughout the nail care industry.
The Best Acrylic Powder and Acrylic Liquid for Nails
After comparing all products, we have determined that the winner is the OPI Absolute Intro Kit for being a quality, trusted brand, providing high-quality and easy-to-use product for both DIY manicurists and salon tech professionals. OPI offers products that are MMA free, odor free, and that don’t sacrifice quality for safety. As a result, the OPI Absolute Intro Kit is clearly the best product that provides the most value to users.
We hope that you found this article helpful and informative on the best acrylic powders and acrylic liquids for acrylic nails, and how to choose the best product for you and your salon.
Do you have a favorite acrylic powder or acrylic liquid product that you like to use? Please share your thoughts and opinions in the comment box below.
Was this article helpful? Share it with your friends!